Monday, August 10, 2009

Plum Cake!





I had an exciting day today! I went on a run this morning (I'm very proud here people) and on the way I found a bowl of free yellow plums! Seriously. Free. For me! So cool. I also went to the dollar tree and got us a dust pan (for $1), wrapping paper that's actually nice ($1), and pretty ribbon to go on it (also, guess how much, yep, $1). Of course, the main point here is the plums. I have never had yellow plums before and I have to say, I prefer the purple ones, and what's more, I'm not the biggest fan of plums. I like them, I like most fruit, but they aren't my favorite. Having tried one raw I decided to make that super cute looking dimpled plum cake from Smitten Kitchen because, hey, why not? SO GLAD I DID. It's deeelicious. The yellow plums are especially excellent in this one because they are a bit more tart and just a tad bitter. I used the recipe at Smitten Kitchen (http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/dimply-plum-cake/) but instead of orange zest I used the zest of one small lemon and several liberal splashes of triple sec. I also added a few more shakes of cinnamon. I loved the outcome. Granted, I haven't ever had the 'real' version of the recipe, but the triple sec combined with the lemon zest went perfectly with the tarter yellow plums. The lemon enhanced the tartness and the triple sec added that bit of orange that goes so nicely with cinnamon. All in all, I recommend that everything try this immediately. Also, I cooked it for about 20-25 min instead of 30-40 but maybe that's just my oven. (pictures coming soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment