Friday, August 14, 2009

Happy Hours Around Portland

Happy Hour is my favorite hour. It means cheap food, cheap drink, somewhere more exciting that sitting at home, and likely with wonderful people. Since I have no real job at the moment and tragically no trust fund, if I want to go out, I do it as cheaply as I can. Happy Hour makes this easy for me, and luckily, Portland has some great ones. Since I live in SE, that's mainly what you'll find. Here is a list of my favorites:
Victory Bar (SE 37th and Division)--5 pm-7 pm I think
-->maybe 2 tiny tables outside? Totally cute inside but not for huge groups--4 or so is ideal
-->$5 food--get the spatzle (mac n cheese with caramelized onions and apple sauce on the side), no question.
-->$4.50 cocktails (they make seriously good drinks--no lemon drops or cosmos here. My favorite is the Corpse Reviver and I cannot figure out what's in it).
-->beer on tap (I think it's cheap but the kind as well as the price rotates so i could be wrong)

Bonfire (SE Stark and 28th)--maybe 3-6 pm?
-->outside seating that's usually packed in nice weather. Inside was nothing thrilling but bigger than I realized
-->$3.50 menu with excellent tzaziki, ok hummus, and a huge portion of fries. They have burgers for this price too that I didn't try (sadly) but seems promising
-->well drinks were discounted but I don't think beer was. Go for the food.

The Blue Dragonfly (between 11th and 12th on Powell)--til 8 pm
-->surprisingly fancy shmancy place considering the location
-->$3.00 (2.99 technically I think) food: chicken quesadillas, tacos, chicken wings, burgers. Yes, $3 for a very decent burger. Big fan.
-->cheap drink menu. I think $3.00 or 3.50 for well drinks and certain cocktails (appletinis etc), also bottled beers. Their tap wasn't working (demerit)

The 'Vern (27th and Belmont) --the food special is between 4 and 6 or 7 on weekdays I think
-->Totally dive/wannabe hipster bar from first glance, however, they get the plus of having a nice stack of books along one windowsil
-->$5 for a pbr on tap and a cheeseburger and fries
-->really good beer specials. Two beers on special (maybe $2.50 or 3.50 for a pint of legit beer on tap) rotating daily
-->no hard alcohol (beer and wine only) but the food special is so worth this place being on here

Vault (downtown/pearl 12th and Everett)--4-7?
-->my favorite bar--classy inside, awesome bartender (the tatooed lady is wonderful and so nice)
-->good drink menu. Certain drinks for cheaper (maybe $5?)
-->possibly a cheaper food menu, however, the food is fabulous and generally worth the price. Well, the grilled cheese and tomato sure is. They also have a bring-your-OLCC card and get happy hour all night but I'm not sure when

Crush (14th and Morrison)--til midnight tuesdays, otherwise I think 4-6 or so
-->super cheap food menu: $2.50 for an excellent place of mashed yams in curry gravy (my favorite) and bread and oil, up to $5.50 for a pulled pork sandwich. Among other things they offer nachos, ceasar salads, mac n cheese, and baked spagetti
-->$3.50 wells and certain cocktails (the Sidecar and the tropical one with guava in it are both actually very good)

Blue Monk (33rd? and Belmont)--til 8 downstairs
-->$5 food menu: the sandwiches were nothing special but the pasta primavera was a great deal: big plate of pasta with veggies and your choice of sauce
-->cheap drink menu: not thrilled by most of their drinks but I did like the margarita with blue curacao

Aalto Lounge (33rd? and Belmont)--til 8 maybe?
-->this place, like the Blue Monk are only on here for the food
-->cheap, cheap paninis for $4.50 or something. Comes with kettle chips. Really good.
-->Not much in the way of Happy Hour drinks but I think they did have a special on their IPA on tap. Unfortunately, I don't like IPAs (too bitter)

I'm sure there are more. I'll work on remembering all of them and try to come up with a point system and perhaps better reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment