Monday, October 12, 2009

Caprese Scramble

For some reason I had this craving for a caprese salad sandwich (tomato, fresh basil, mozzarella, olive oil and balsamic on a baguette) and ended up with more mozzarella than I needed. I tend to always have tomatoes on hand, and we have both dried and fresh basil in the house too. Yesterday morning I woke up rather hungry and settled on a scramble (mainly because I didn't have the right bread for french toast). I have made this scramble before, but I put a little more thought into it this time and thought I'd share:

Caprese Scramble
-2 eggs
-splash of milk
-salt n pepper
-a few shakes of garlic powder
-several leaves of fresh basil, washed, dried, and finely chopped OR several shakes of dried basil (I was too lazy to go allll the way outside and get some fresh...plus it was chilly!)
-about 1/3 of a medium sized ball of mozzarella, chopped
-a few pinched of Parmesan
-finely chopped white onion--maybe a tablespoon or 2? (I didn't have red which would probably also be good, although potentially too overpowering)
-half to 2/4 of a tomato, chopped

To assemble:
-Get everything chopped up
-Heat a medium-small pan over medium heat
-I just used Pam on it, but you can use olive oil if you prefer
-Toss in the onions first
-Whisk everything except the tomatoes in a bowl until all combined and nicely foamy
-Pour it in the pan (with the onions) and don't touch it for a minute until it starts to cook a little
-Sprinkle on the tomatoes (when you pick them up, shake them off a little to reduce the amount of liquid going into the eggs)
-Use a flat-ended wooden spatula and scrape everything around so that it doesn't stick. Scraping keeps the eggs light and fluffy.
-Keep scraping until the eggs are almost not runny at all and then put them on a plate since they'll keep cooking a little once out of the pan.
-Eat!
*Maybe add a splash of olive oil and balsamic at the end, if you feel like it...I just thought of it now, but I bet it would be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment