Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spice Cupcakes with Lemon Curd


A week or so ago I had this extreme desire to bake something all day. Then I got into this productive mood and decided I wasn't allowed to bake anything until I'd gotten in lots of job hunting. Eventually, I was still "being productive" when my roommate (who actually works and stuff) came home and told me that another friend was coming over to make dinner.

Instead of just deciding to bake something tomorrow, I decided that I absolutely had to bake something right that second. I also decided that I didn't want to go to the store. This was slightly a problem. I wanted something fast, which meant cupcakes or brownies or something. As opposed to bread, for example, that needs to rise. I also didn't have milk, yogurt, or chocolate chips. Or much butter. I initially wanted to make ginger cookies. Not sure why since they're more of a wintery cookie but whatever. Alas, no molasses! I was discouraged. I don't like yellow cake much, vanilla cupcakes are boring, and chocolate cupcakes aren't as good if you aren't adding chocolate (alongside cocoa powder) into the batter (or so I thought. More on that later.). I felt like I was going to fail and I was not pleased about this. As a last resort I checked my cupcake cookbook (yes, ONLY cupcakes) for a spice cupcake recipe without molasses as a possible compromise. I WON! They exist and called for sour cream, which I had! Totally exciting. And quite delish when topped with lemon curd!

"Spiced Sour Cream Cupcakes"
Not really adapted from Fergal Connolly's 500 Cupcakes

*Note: apparently "the hearty flavor of these cupcakes [is] perfect for tailgating parties and fall picnics"...who knew!

-1 1/2 c flour
-1 tsp baking powder
-(2 tsp) cinnamon but I always do my spices to taste
-(1 tsp allspice), see above
-cloves, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, ginger: a sprinkle of each
-2 eggs
-3/4 C sour cream (I used lite and it still tasted delish)
-1 C brown sugar, packed
-3 T each golden raisins and chopped pecans if you like. I don't like either so I skipped that part.
*Note #2: The recipe says it makes 1 1/2 dozen but it barely made me 1 dozen...

1. Preheat over to 350. Line muffin tins.
2. Sift dry ingredients into a medium bowl, set aside.
3. Beat eggs and sour cream until combined, add sugar and mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients in batches until smooth.
5. Spoon batter into cups and bake about 20 min.

Top with lemon curd. I didn't make mine. You can, but I already had pre-made lemon curd on hand.
*Note #3: The recipe calls for a cream cheese frosting with orange juice and zest. It's probs lovely, but I didn't have cream cheese on hand...

No comments:

Post a Comment