Monday, April 11, 2011

March: Healthy Yam/Sweet Potato Lunch


When I was home in February, my mom and I were chatting about healthy lunch options that were more interesting than just a sandwich. I love sandwiches and all, but sometimes it's nice to have other options. I've done baked potatoes before--you can microwave them and bring various toppings. It's a fabulous winter lunch.

She mentioned sweet potatoes and how she likes to steam them and eat them with yogurt for a nice, healthy, light lunch. I got some as soon as I got home and made them a little fancier with other toppings:

-1/2 1 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and chopped
-balsamic vinegar
-1/3-1/2 C low fat cottage cheese

1. Steam sweet potatoes in a microwave safe container with a little bit of water.
2. Preheat the broiler while potatoes steam
3. In an oven-proof container, add sweet potatoes, top with a drizzle of balsamic and the cottage cheese
4. Broil until cottage cheese is warm

*Optional Add-Ins:
-goat cheese crumbled along with the cottage cheese
-spoonful of brown sugar on top to caramelize a little
-omit the balsamic and add a few spoonfuls of applesauce

No comments:

Post a Comment