Thursday, April 28, 2011

French Onion Soup

I have probably mentioned before that I really don't eat soup. It's true. I hate it. I caved with miso soup and have been wanting to try french onion soup for a while. I love caramelized onions...to the point where I eat them out right out of the pan. My roommate makes fun of me for this. I figured french onion soup with give me a more dignified reason to do this...
Check out that onion/broth goo! Yumity Yum Yum!
Almost ready for eating. To explain the onion behind the bowls, I grated a little fresh onion onto the soup before broiling the bread and cheese with it as suggested by Smitten Kitchen...I'm not sure it made a huge difference.
Cheese+bread+CARAMELIZED ONIONS=awesome food
I keep making a lot of brown things. It was good though, promise!

French Onion Soup
-3-4 white or yellow onions (1 1/2 lbs or so), shredded
-1 T butter
-drizzle of olive oil (to coat pan)
-spoonful of sugar (helps onions caramelize but you don't have to add it if you don't want)
-2 quarts beef stock (I didn't use this much. I also used some chicken stock and water to lighten it up)
-3 T flour
-1/8 C cooking sherry or red wine vinegar
-1/8 C cider vinegar
*You can use white wine instead but I didn't have any. I also really liked the tanginess that the vinegar brings...
-1/4-1/2 of a baguette, toasted and crumbled/broken into chunks
-1-2 C grated cheese (I used a combo of Swiss and Monterrey jack. I also am not really sure how much I used since I didn't serve all of the soup at once)

1. Heat a very large, deep pan (I used a big cast iron one), melt butter/oil. Shred onions (I use my food processor. It's awesome).
2. Cook onions, adding sugar if you want and more oil or butter as needed, over medium heat until very soft and caramelized.
*Note: Smitten Kitchen suggests that you "Add the onions, toss to coat them in oil and cover the pot. Reduce the heat to real low and let them slowly steep for 15 minutes"...I did this but am not sure how useful it really was.
3. When onions are caramelized, add flour and stir for a few minutes. Add wine and some stock, stir to combine.
4. Continue adding broth slowly, letting the onions absorb the liquid. Once most of it is added, bring to a simmer and cover slightly for about 30 minutes. Check and taste for consistency and add pepper if you want.
5. To finish everything off: Preheat broiler, top oven-safe bowls of soup w crumbled, toasted baguette, grate cheese and little raw onion on top, and broil until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment