Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Beef Stroganoff

I really don't eat enough meat. I love it but it gets a bit expensive and I just really don't think to buy it for some reason. Well, the other day I was feeling tired and lethargic and realized it's probably because I haven't had any red meat in a while. I decided to resolve that by cooking some meat. Brilliant plan. I wasn't sure what to make until I started chatting with one of the people I volunteer for. She immediately told me I had to make beef stroganoff. I can hardly remember the last time I had beef stroganoff and have certainly never made it. She told me how easy it was and I was hooked!

My biggest concern was the mushrooms. I can't stand the texture. The flavor is fine, it's just the texture that gets me. I resolved this by chopping them up super, super tiny. Like the size of minced onion.
Meat! Yum! I love that we finally have a knife that cuts it easily!
Brown the meat all over. A lot of recipes tell you to brown it in batches but I didn't bother. I just kept tossing it until everything was browned.
Onions and leeks and browned-meat-leftovers.
Cooking everything, pre-meat. Yum. Make sure to taste it as you go and keep adding spices and herbs.
MEAT! And below, the finished product! Unfortunately this may be one of the ugliest dishes to make and photograph...too bad they haven't figured out a way to make scratch-n-sniff pictures for the computer...

Beef Stroganoff (slightly adapted from Doran's Mom's version)
(makes about 3 good-sized servings)

-3/4 lb beef tenderloin (I got the cheapest I could find at Whole Foods and it was like $4!) trimmed of fat and chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
-3 or 4 little white mushrooms (or more, but I don't like them), very finely diced
-3/4 of a large white onion
-the white and light green parts of a leek, finely chopped
-olive oil
-salt n pepper
-nutmeg
-1/4 c sherry
-1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
-1/8 c red wine
-beef broth or water (I used beef broth)--as much or as little as you like depending on how soupy you want everything
-oregano
-1 tablespoons flour
-2 large spoonfuls of (low fat) sour cream or more or less to taste
-egg noodles

1. Cut steak and toss with flour, salt, pepper. Brown in oil or butter over medium heat. Once brown on all sides, remove from heat.
2. In the same pan: heat a little more oil if needed add the onions and leeks until soft and then add the mushrooms. Cook, scraping the bottom of the pan to get the browned bits of meat, until mushrooms are tender.
3. Meanwhile, set water on to boil and cook the egg noodles.
4. Add the sherry and Worcestershire to the onion/leek/mushroom mix, add herbs/spices to taste. Cook for a bit, continuing to scrape the bottom, and then add a little beef broth.
5. Bring to a boil, add meat and simmer until the meat is cooked. Add more beef broth as needed to keep enough liquid in the pan.
6. Once meat is done, turn off the heat and stir in sour cream.
7. Serve with noodles!

*Note: this reheats well!

No comments:

Post a Comment