Monday, April 11, 2011

February Cont'd: Using Up Stock: Spring Risotto

I used up all of the chicken from my roast chicken in the pot pies but I still had chicken stock (I actually haven't even used it all up yet!) and wanted to use more before I froze it. A friend of mine makes possibly the best risotto I've ever had and she doesn't even use a recipe. I'm not jealous at all...really. This risotto turned out pretty darn great but I definitely checked recipes online first to get a sense of proportion.

Risotto

-4 C or so chicken stock or water or veggie stock. In this case I did chicken stock
-1 C arborio rice
-1/2 C or so white wine (optional)
-1/2 bag of frozen peas (the leftover peas from my chicken pot pies...)
-1/2-3/4 white onion, finely chopped
-1 zucchini chopped into 1-inch pieces or so and steamed briefly until almost crisp-tender
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-grated cheese (I used parm and a 3-cheese blend) to taste

1. Heat oil over medium heat and add onions. Cook until softened and add garlic, cook until fragrant.
2. Add the rice and toast until mostly translucent
3. Add wine if using, or about 1/2 C stock or water and cook until absorbed
4. Add the rest of the stock in 1-2 C intervals, waiting until absorbed to add more.
5. Once you've used about 3/4 of the stock, taste for done-ness and add other veggies
6. Cook until rice is soft and creamy and peas are cooked, season as needed
7. Top with cheese and butter if desired
*Note: a barely-fried egg on risotto just might be my favorite thing ever...try it if you haven't already!

No comments:

Post a Comment