Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Food Thoughts

Since I've recently gotten into cooking, I've been reading a lot of cooking blogs, watching cooking shows, and checking out menus at various restaurants. Just now I was making some more of those blueberry breakfast muffins and I was thinking that at this point in my life, I would try just about anything. Then I started thinking about the exceptions. As most people who know me will tell you, I'm a rather picky eater and I dislike various "weird" (in other words commonly-liked) foods. For example I don't like:
-bell peppers in every color
-olives
-nuts...yes...all of them. I will eat peanuts in snickers bars and I love peanut butter (creamy of course) and every so often I will eat hazelnuts or pecans in things. Very rarely though, and only a small amount
-carrots (I don't hate them, they're just boring)
-celery
-tomato juice
-sesame seeds/oil
-mushrooms (it's just the texture)
etc.

I also currently do not eat soup. I may branch out though, we shall see. Now I have tried all of these things recently (I was waaaay worse as a kid, like ridiculously picky) and I want to like them, I just don't. However, if they were in something from French Laundry or Per Se, I would totally try them. Other than those things I have already tried and know I don't like, I think I would be willing to try anything new. However, I really do not think I could eat:
-cats
- slugs/grubs or bugs of any kind
-feet, or other strange body parts (like hands or something).

I would probably have trouble with brains, but I would try them.
On a more positive note, here are some foods I would really like to try (that I either have never had or haven't eaten in a really long time:
-steak tartare
-caviar
-figs
-rutabagas
-kiwis
-oysters (raw)

No comments:

Post a Comment