Thursday, September 23, 2010

Things To Do WIth Extra Salmon


The other day I got a 12 lb salmon. Yes, 12 pounds. My friend lives near a bunch of Russian immigrants and I guess one of them goes out and catches salmon and then sells it for $1/lb. Unfortunately for me (or fortunately for my friends) you have to buy a whole fish. My friend took a few lbs off for herself (it was originally 14 lbs I guess), and gave me the rest. It came gutted but not scaled or filleted so that was an interesting and messy experience that I'm not eager to relive...I ended up grilling the salmon with a bunch of people. We went through a lot of it but 12 lbs is quite a lot of fish so we had leftovers. We did rosemary, garlic, and lemon, an asiany marinade with pineapple on skewers, and a maple syrup glaze too.

Salmon-Potato Salad (note: we had the most of the rosemary, lemon, garlic marinaded salmon left over, so that helped me come up with this idea)
-about 5 little potatoes (fingerling or whichever kind you prefer)
-1 T mayo*
-1 T spicy mustard*
-juice of 1/2 a lemon
-1 T german mustard*
-salt n pepper
-1 large stalk celery, finely diced
-1/3 small onion, finely diced
-1 T or so of canola oil
-salmon to taste*

1. Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender, cool completely (or they'll get mushy when you try to cut them).
2. Dice celery, cut onion, place in large bowl.
3. Mix mustards, mayo, oil, salt n pepper, lemon juice in a small bowl.
4. Chop potatoes, add to larger bowl.
5. Add dressing to everything else.
6. Add salmon in and mix all together!

*No idea how much of all of these things I actually added, so my proportions might be kind of off...feel free to adapt as needed, with more mustard than mayo, and as much salmon as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment