Thursday, September 23, 2010

Baked Eggs



This is a 2-for-1 post. So a while ago at this point (yes, I'm delayed at keeping up with this) I came across a recipe for eggs baked with asparagus here . I love both eggs and asparagus so I was instantly intrigued. The other day I was in the mood for brunch but since it was just me, I didn't wanna go too crazy cooking up a lot of food. I remembered that asparagus-egg dish but then realized I didn't have any asparagus. Fail! Luckily I did happen to have some spinach on hand so i figured I could play around with the baked egg thing and use my cute little ramekins that I got for my birthday: win-win! This was a good idea on my part. I ended up making the asparagus one too later, so I'm including both.

Eggs Baked In Spinach
-1 egg
-3/4 c chopped spinach or more (I think that's about all I had, so more wouldn't hurt)
-1 T finely chopped onion
-1/2 garlic clove, smashed and finely chopped
-salt n pepper to taste
-olive oil
-1 T milk
-grated cheese to taste (any kind works, I would suggest cheddar or jack though)--maybe 1 T or so
-baguette, sliced on the diagonal, toasted and buttered (to eat with the egg)

1. Heat a heavy pan, add oil and onion and cook until onion becomes soft and translucent.
2. Add spinach and garlic and cook until spinach is done to your liking.
3. Remove from heat and put into a buttered ramekin
4. Grate cheese, preheat oven to about 450.
5. Carefully crack egg onto the spinach in the ramekin, add milk around it and salt n pepper.
6. Bake until whites begin to set (I still haven't mastered this step, I tend to overcook my eggs a bit), according to Shutter Bean, 5-7 min. Toast the toast.
7. Top with cheese and cook until cheese is bubbly.
8. Eat with the toast.

Egg Baked With Asparagus
1. Roast asparagus with olive oil, salt n lemon pepper (or however you like)
2. Follow steps 3-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment