Friday, January 29, 2010

Lemon Meringue CUPCAKES


A few weeks ago it was my neighbor's birthday. He doesn't really like sweets with the exception of key lime and lemon meringue pie, so I decided to make a lemon meringue pie. I've made this before with my grandma's AWESOME recipe, so I wanted to do something slightly different this time. I found this recipe on Rachel Ray's website for lemon meringue cupcakes, and I was sold.

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes (barely adapted from Rachel Ray):
Makes 12-14

-1 1/2 c all purpose flour
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 c buttermilk
-1 1/2 tablespn lemon juice (or more to taste)
-1 1/2 sticks butter
-1 c sugar
-2 tablspns lemon zest, finely grated, or however much you like
-2 eggs
-1 small jar lemon curd
For Meringue:
-4 egg whites
-2/3 c sugar

-Preheat oven to 350
-Combine flour, baking powder, salt in medium bowl
-Combine buttermilk and lemon juice in small bowl
-With an electric mixture, mix butter until creamy (about 1 min)
-Add 1 c sugar and lemon peel (and make sure you check your beaters because mine like to steal the zest from the batter and hang on to it) and beat until fluffy (about 5 min)
-Add the eggs one at a time, each time beating until well incorporated
-Alternate adding the dry mixture and the buttermilk/lemon mixture into the butter/sugar lemon until all is incorporated and batter is smooth
-Fill cupcakes about 3/4 of the way full and bake about 20 min or until a toothpick comes out clean

While the cupcakes are cooling, make the meringue...I should also note that this recipe gave me twice as much meringue as I needed, but this is a problem I often have with frosting and I still can't figure out why...
Meringue:
-in a double boiler (with the water NOT TOUCHING the bowl on top) whisk together 2/3 c sugar and the egg whites over barely simmering water
-whisk just until sugar dissolves
-remove from heat and beat on high until stiff, glossy peaks form

Once cupcakes have cooled, spread lemon curd on top and then dollop on the meringue. Place finished cupcakes on a cookie tray and broil until the meringue is golden brown on top (only a few minutes--check them often). Devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment