Friday, January 29, 2010

Healthy Breakfast Muffins

As I mentioned in before, my newest goal is to make quick, healthy breakfast things that I can grab on my way out the door. These muffins are my most successful option and I've been eating them for the last 3 days for multiple meals.

Banana-Scented Blueberry Whole Wheat Muffins:
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen here and made healthier!)

Makes maybe 18 or so?

-1 c whole wheat flour
-1 c all purpose flour
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 tablespoon (or several generous shakes*) cinnamon
-generous shake powdered ginger*
-generous shake nutmeg*
-1-2 tablespoons butter
-1/4-1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
-1/4 c white sugar
-1/4 c brown sugar (loosely packed)...I think you could use less of both sugars but I added those before I thought about adding the banana
-1 egg
-1 c buttermilk
-1 (or 2 if you have them, and if you have 2, dial back the sugar even more) very ripe banana, mashed
-blueberries to taste (I used at least 1/2 a bag of frozen ones)

Preheat the oven to 450
-Mix the dry ingredients (flours, sugars, spices, baking powder, baking soda, salt) in a large bowl and set aside
-Mix the butter, applesauce, and egg in a smaller bowl until well mixed
-Add the buttermilk into the egg etc mixture and mix until just combined (don't overmix)
-Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just mixed
-Add in the mashed banana(s) and blueberries
-Fill muffin tins
-Bake for 10-15 min...looking at the recipe again, she suggests that you cook at 450 for 10 min, reduce heat to 400 and continue to cook 5-10 more min until a toothpick comes out dry. Woops! This is what happens when people come over when I'm cooking

*I'm too lazy to really measure out my spices since most are in little jars with small holes (meaning to measure I would have to take the plastic tops off or get spices all over my counter...wayyy too much effort all around) so I just shake some into the batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment