Friday, January 29, 2010

A Filling Salad

I like salad, I really do, but I always have a hard time just eating a salad for a meal. This is most likely because I'm a slightly picky eater...I don't like nuts, dried fruit, bell peppers of any color, olives, plain garbanzo beans (I do like hummus though), or raw broccoli. I know, I know, this is really bad. I've tried them all recently but for whatever reason, none of those things taste very good to me. I've had bean salads and those are ok, but they've never really been something I had to have again. The other day I was picking up a few things at Trader Joes and I was blown away by their sample that day. They had a salad made up of baby spinach, black lentils, champagne-pear vinaigrette, and I think raisins (which I avoided). It was delicious! Not only that, it was filling!

While I realize that most people make heartier salads by adding chicken, fish, or tofu, my problem there is that I really just don't eat meat/fake meat that often. I love it, don't get me wrong, but for some reason I just don't buy or prepare it much. I really should, and I'm going to start trying to do that, but it's really nice to have a non-meat/tofu hearty salad option.

Filling Salad (that can be adapted in many exciting ways):
-Baby spinach, or spinach plus one of those spring mixes, I just love spinach
-Feta
-Salt n pepper to taste
-A few spoonfuls cooked black lentils (I just got the kind at TJs that you can microwave)
-A ripe tomato, chopped (I used about half of one, or a little less)
-Chopped red onion, to taste
-Raspberry vinaigrette

-Combine everything in a bowl and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment