Wednesday, November 10, 2010

SPICY Chili

I had non vegetarian chili for the first time (that I can remember) a few weeks ago at a friends. It was surprisingly good. Lately it's been super cold here, low 40s!, so I needed something cozy to make and figured I'd give chili a shot. For whatever reason I always thought chili was a mixture of beans and ground meat and maybe tomatoes...upon investigating recipes I quickly learned that it was usually meat or beans but rarely both. Too bad! I made my own version. It turned out very well in my opinion but I somehow made it super spicy. And don't believe me (since I'm a spice wimp), my roommate and neighbors both agreed and shoveled it down.

CHILI:
-3/4 medium/large onion, finely chopped
-4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
-olive oil
-1/2 lb ground turkey, broken up
-2 chorizo sausage links, cut into small pieces
-about 14 oz canned whole tomatoes (half of one of those really big cans), including liquid
-2 tomatoes, chopped
-1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped (*)
-1 or 2 chipotles in adobo, chopped (as needed)
-1/2 a red bell pepper (or more if you actually like them...I don't, I just wanted the texture)
-2 medium yellow squash, chopped
-1 can pinto beans (or whatever kind you like)
-3/4-1 can of another type of bean...I used dark red kidney beans)* As needed if it's too hot or too thin--in my case, too spicy
-1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
-salt n pepper to taste
-thyme and basil to taste (I only had dried and used a few tsps of each)

1. Heat a deep, heavy pan on medium heat, add oil to coat.
2. When oil is hot, add onions, cook until they begin to soften, add turkey and sausage.
3. As everything starts to cook add garlic.
4. As turkey begins to brown add canned tomatoes and regular tomatoes, and bring to a simmer.
5. Add 1st can of beans, peppers, and squash.
6. Keep mixture simmering, add spices, chocolate, salt, and pepper.
7.Simmer over low heat until liquid thickens up quite a lot and takes on your desired consistency. Taste frequently and adjust heat as needed (adding more beans or more peppers as needed).
8. Once chili thickens nicely, devour with cheddar, jalapeño, beer bread (coming soon!)

*I, for whatever reason, happen to be an expert at finding the hottest jalapeños...I am not good with spicy food (I like them but they really hurt my mouth...). No idea how I do this since I know nothing about spicy peppers, but the few times I've used them I only have to use one when most people would use several. Weird. Anyway, if you chili doesn't have any heat after one pepper, add as needed since I seem to be gifted/cursed...Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment