Monday, November 29, 2010

Zombie Walk








I realize I'm a bit out of order with my posts, but you'll have to bear with me. I've been slow to upload my photos so I forget what happened when, etc. Once I rediscover things, I feel the need to share, which brings me to this post: ZOMBIE WALK 2010. Portland has a lot of cool things going for it: great happy hours, Powell's, Reed, many lovely people, food carts, pretty neighborhoods, and, as I discovered for the first time this year, Zombie Walk. Now Zombie Walk is a very strange experience. Basically it's a bunch of people all dressed up like zombies that lurch, stumble, and stagger around downtown Portland. It started in Pioneer square around 4:30 pm the weekend before Halloween. My neighbor and I decided to go (I miraculously had the day off from work, and I never get Saturdays off). He dressed up as a zombie boyscout, I was a zombie fairy princess. We headed downtown on the bus (and get a lot fewer strange looks than I expected) and walked over to Pioneer Square. It was packed. A bit after we got there everyone started moving around to make space in the square and a few minutes later the music for Thriller came on. Everyone in the square danced, and it was epic. After the song/dance ended, the zombies were off! We lurched along, following the pack. There was apparently a designated route that someone knew since all the zombies were headed in the same direction, but I'm not really sure what it was. Not only were there tons of zombies of all ages (little kids dressed in tuxes with zombie makeup and babies gnawing on rubber, dismembered hands, little skanky preteen zombies, older zombies, zombies from other eras, Snookie zombie(!), etc), there was also a huge crowd of people lining the sidewalk watching and taking photos. It was pretty funny. There were also Zombie Hunters and even a fake ambulance that the Zombie Hunters drove. It go attacked and it was great. I'm planning to do this every year I'm in Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment