Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Belated BBQ



A few weeks ago we had a rather impromptu barbecue I guess for labor day (although I didn't realize it was labor day until someone pointed that out--yay unemployment!). This was actually a little tricky to pull off since we don't actually have a full-sized barbecue and neither do any of my neighbors. I do have one little tiny barbecue and it turned out one of my neighbors had another little tiny one, so we were successful after all! This plan started with my housemate and a few friends she used to live with and turned into almost all of our neighbors plus a bunch of friends and a ton of food that we ate almost all of.

Since for some reason I know a lot of vegetarians, we had a nice amount of veggies and only some meat. Of course, I'm definately not complaining since veggies are generally pretty awesome, especially the way we did them. My personal bbq favorite (other than meat) is grilled green onions. All you do is chop off the very end of the white part and toss them on the grill. Once they're hot and have grill-marks, eat them.

My second favorite veggie bbq option is grilled corn on the cobb. Toss it on until it's got grill-marks and then eat as soon as you can without burning your fingers. Some people like to butter, salt, and pepper it and then wrap it back up in the husks before grilling, but I don't really think you need to. Put it on the grill in the husk and just add the butter etc when it's done.

I've grown up with barbecued meat thanks to my dad and I still cannot go to a barbecue and not eat meat. It just seems wrong. This bbq proved no different. For my part I made burgers that shrunk into sliders since it was my first time making the burgers and I made the patties too small. Woops. They were still excellent.

Really Good Burgers:
-1 pkg ground beef or whatever you wanna make your burgers out of
-onions
-garlic
-salt
-pepper
-cayenne
-soy vay

To Make:
-wash your hands
-take the meat out of the packaging and put it in a large-ish clean bowl
-liberally salt and pepper it
-crush a few cloves of garlic and add them
-finely chop a little less than half a white onion and toss that in
-pour in some soy vey teriaki sauce--I probably used a 1/4 cup or so to maybe 3/4 lbs of meat?
-mix everything together with your hands until just mixed *Do not over mix
-stick in the fridge until you're ready to make the burgers
*I think making the patties at the last minute likely would keep the meat more moist, but I'm not really an expert so who knows.
-form the meat mixture into rather large patties because they shrink up a lot. To give you a sense of how big, the ones I made were about the size of normal burgers and shrank into slider-sized. Woops.
-Cook for a few minutes per side and cut into one to see how done it is after 3 min or so (depending on how hot your grill is)
-eat immediately on toasted buns with grilled onions on top and ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment