Monday, May 31, 2010

A Fantastic Snack or a Delicious Appetizer

Or a lovely late-night dinner!

My favorite, favorite (and only ah ha) roommate not only got my champagne for my birthday, she also got me some amazing herbed goat cheese. This cheese is fantastic. I love goat cheese and I love herbs, so combine them and throw in some carbs and my life gets that much better. I have eaten about half of that cheese and it has been excellent, but today I realized that I'm out of crackers! Oh no! Luckily, I did realized that I had bread and tomatoes and all the fixings to a lovely snack.

Goat Cheese Crostini (ish) snack--duplicate for apps:
-1 slice study bread such as a wheat sourdough or whatever you like (I LOVE sourdough but I have been really enjoying Trader Joe's Cracked Wheat Sourdough as a slight change of pace).
-1 small roma tomato, thinly sliced (or about have of a big one).
-ideally, a nice chunk of herbed goat cheese. Really, any goat cheese will do (or any cheese. I just like a flavor that goat cheese brings with the other ingredients) and you can add herbs as needed. I'm not entirely sure how much I used...maybe a tablespoon?
-finely chopped rosemary.

-Preheat the burner.
-Toast your bread briefly--the broiler won't toast the bottom of the bread, which really annoys me, so I pre-toast.
-Meanwhile, thinly slice the tomatoes and finely chop the rosemary.
-Spread the toast with a nice layer of goat cheese, top with tomatoes, and finish with the rosemary and top with some small bits of goat cheese on top.
-Broil for a few minutes, until the edges of the toast are dark, the tomatoes are very juicy, and the cheese is melted.

*You could pretty easily do this as a nice appetizer: fill a tray with briefly-toasted toast, spread with cheese, top with tomatoes and rosemary, and toss in the broiler. The nice thing is, even cooled, this tasted great! Enjoy, ideally as dinner with a baby spinach salad and a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment