Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Julie and Julia Inspires Me: A Fancy Cake




My mom sent me the book Julie and Julia only a little while before the movie came out. I read it right away and really enjoyed it. I'm really bad about going to movies when they're actually playing (thanks to the $3, 21+ theater by my house where you just have to wait a few extra months and then you can enjoy any of the popular movies with a beer), so I didn't see Julie and Julia until a few weeks ago--yes, I'm a little behind the times. Part of the reason I made the roast described in the previous post was to bribe my friend and neighbor to download the movie for me to watch on his fancy TV...I guess it just wasn't his cup of tea (of course he watched it, though). The roast turned out wonderfully, if I do say so myself, but for Julie and Julia, I was just craving some ridiculous, fancy cake. Luckily, we didn't have a roast, garlic mashed potatoes, asparagus, AND a triple layer buttercream-frosted cake all on the same day, because I don't even think my athlete brother could have handled all that food!

While shopping for roast ingredients, I remembered that apples were in season and picked some of those up. Upon investigating my kitchen, I also realized that I had cream in the fridge. Over the holidays I made Gourmet's Spice Cake with Caramelized Pears and Maple Buttercream and it was spectacular. I figured, "hey, I've got apples and cream--I could make a caramelized apple version with a caramel buttercream!" Well, I realized after the fact that it's surprisingly tricky to find a recipe for caramel buttercream, but that didn't stop me! I just made a regular buttercream with less sugar and then added caramel...yes, rich, I know. Also delicious!

Spice Cake with Caramelized Apples and Caramel Buttercream
For Spice Cake, please see link: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spice-Cake-with-Caramelized-Pears-and-Maple-Buttercream-355980
Now ignore the rest of the link and keep reading for the apples and caramel buttercream:

Caramelized Apples:
-4 or 5 apples of whatever brand you like (I believe I used Braeburns)
-1/4 c of red wine (really whatever you have along as long as it's not 2 buck chuck but ideally something fruity
-1-2 tablespoons of sugar (it's mainly to taste...also I used brown because I love brown sugar)
-1-2 tablespoons of butter

-Peel and core apples, then finely chop them
-In a deep-sided cast iron pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter until melting
-Add the apples
-Cook down for a bit and add sugar and red wine as the apples begin to soften
-If the apples start to stick, add a little more butter
-Cook until very tender and sweet

Caramel Buttercream
Caramel Sauce:
*This is my favorite caramel sauce recipe because they are the only one that suggests that you add water to prevent burning. Yes, the caramel takes a little longer to come together, but it's sooo much easier than having to constantly re-do burned caramel.
** I halved the main recipe, but I would even suggest quartering it
-1/2 c white sugar
-2 (it calls for 3 but I don't think you need it) tablespoons butter
-1/4 c heavy whipping cream
-1/4 c water

-Get all your ingredients measured and near you before you start--this makes things easier for you since you have to work quickly.
-In a tall, heavy sauce pan, add the sugar and the water over moderately high heat
-As the sugar beings to melt, stir it vigorously
-As soon as the sugar comes to a boil stop stirring (it's hard, I know)
-Once it looks nice and golden, add the butter and whisk until golden
-Immediately remove from heat and add the cream--whisk until smooth
-Add a pinch of salt if you like

Buttercream:
*any buttercream recipe will do--just add a little less sugar no vanilla
-1 cup unsalted butter or margarine, room temperature (use vegetable shortening when pure white icing is needed)
-1/2 cup milk, room temperature

-1/4 teaspoon salt

-2 pounds confectioners' sugar

-Combine all the ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix at slow speed until smooth.

-Add the caramel to taste

To Assemble:

-Cool layers of the cake

-Once cool, lightly frost the bottom layer on the top and add about 1/3-1/2 of the apples

-Repeat with the second layer

-Add the top layer and frost, adding any extra apples after (or just eat them plain).

-Enjoy

*PS-How cool are those colored candles?! We decided to pretend it was Cary Grant's Birthday...I mean, who doesn't like him?! Happy Birthday, Cary!

No comments:

Post a Comment