Tuesday, December 8, 2009

An Amazing Cake plus more

So I already gave you a link to this cake I found in Gourmet and I will discuss it more here because it is freaking amazing. The frosting is probably the best I've ever had. Seriously. Wowww.

Ok, so besides this awesome, awesome cake I also made an onion pie/tart for thanksgiving, along with the zucchini roll ups and a lemon sponge tarte. The onion pie was from Gourmet as well and basically it was a pie filled with caramelized onions, bacon, and some spices I felt like throwing in. It was awsome, but I won't post until I've adapted it to my ideal liking because I think it needed toasted fennel seeds or something...and maybe some cheese. As for the lemon sponge tarte, it was excellent and from a cookbook I got from my fabulous ex-housemates. It tasted like a cross between a lemon meringue pie and a lemon bar, especially the second day. Yummmyyy.

Here's the important thing though, the cake:
Spice Cake with Caramelized Pears and Maple Buttercream
...Ok, epicurious hates me and won't let me cut and paste...here's the link, sorry!
Notes:
1. Feel free to add more of the spices than they ask for, I prefer liberally-spiced cakes and I added a shake or pinch more at least of everything and do not regret it
2. Watch the cakes carefully because I overcooked mine just barely and they came out a little drier than I would have liked (although I didn't get any complaints)
3. Definately be liberal with the brandy and toss in some orange liqueur if you have it...why not right?
4. Use a nice tall/deep pan to cook the maple syrup mixture in because it foams up like crazy and I managed to get it all over the stove. Yeah, like aaaallllll over. Not pleasant.
5. I only added about half the butter they suggested to keep the maple flavor stronger...Also you really don't need that much butter
*Sorry I don't have photos :(

No comments:

Post a Comment